Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger MSDS – Facts You Need to Know about
Hydrogen Sulfide is a toxic and colourless gas that is highly hazardous to health and environment. The gas is usually found in oil and gas sector industries, like the petroleum industry. What makes it important to have a scavenger, especially in industries belonging to this sector, is that it has the highest number of employees and employers than compared to any other sector and can harm the health of many. A scavenger is a chemical substance that reacts with a hazardous chemical substance, to get rid of it and produce non-toxic and environment friendly products.
Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger
A hydrogen sulfide scavenger reacts with hydrogen sulfide to produce either solid or liquid components, that are not harmful to health and do not pollute the environment. It is usually a majorly triazine based chemical, where it may constitute up to 83 percent of triazine.
Properties of Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger
- It reacts with hydrogen sulfide and gets rid of the hazardous and toxic components, by itsscavenging properties.
- The scavenging by hydrogen sulfide scavenger is usually a quick and complete process.
- It does not affect the performance of the general system and takes place as a completely independent process.
- The environmental, chemical, and physical factors usually do not affect the scavenging.
- An increase in pH will only make the scavenging process more efficient and quick.
- The end products of a scavenging process are not corrosive.
How does Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger affect health
Although it’s scavenging properties get rid of the toxic and hazardous hydrogen sulfide, it does not mean that hydrogen sulfide scavenger in itself has a nil affect on one’s health or environment. Since it is also a chemical substance it is only fair for it to have a few comparatively lesser harmful properties of it’s own. However, a few general safety precautions will be enough to tackle the harmful properties. Also, if you happen to be affected by it, usually a first aid will be enough to treat the harm done. Only sometimes a medical consultation is necessary.
- Hydrogen sulfide scavenger can cause irritation in eyes when in direct contact with the gas.
- It can also cause an irritation in the skin when in direct contact.
- It may cause breathlessness when the ventilation is low in the workplace.
- Ingestion it may be very harmful. It may cause harm to the digestive system and irritation in the throat.
- An allergic reaction can also be caused by direct or indirect contact of the gas.
How to stop the harmful effects from getting worse
- If there’s an irritation in the eyes or skin, wash your eyes and skin thoroughly with water.
- If the irritation persists, seek medical assistance.
- If there is an allergic reaction to the gas, get medical attention.
- Immediate consultation from a doctor is required if you have ingested it.
- If you feel breathless, go out and get an adequate amount of fresh air.
Precautions while working with Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger
- Take all general safety measures, such as the use of safety rubber gloves, safety goggles, safety face mask and shield, and safety clothing, to avoid contact with the scavenging substance.
- Make sure the workplace is ventilated, to avoid breathlessness.
- Strictly avoid smoking and drinking in the workplace.
How to store Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger
- Store in large cans or barrels, in a dry and cool place.
- Make sure the storage area is highly ventilated.
- Keep away from combustible substances.
- Also, keep away from other chemicals and acids.
Hope this Material Safety Data Sheet or MSDS for Hydrogen Sulfide Scavenger is informative and useful for you to take care of all precautions while handling and storing hydrogen sulfide scavengers.
Chemical Products Industries, Inc. Also Offers Following Services :
Chemical Products Industries, Inc. Address: 7649 SW 34th St, Oklahoma City, OK Phone: (800) 624-4356